Wed, Sep 30|
Part I: Compassion In Action: Tools for Compassionate Listening with Amalia Phillips and Liz Spitzer
In the face of increasing stress, polarity, and disparity, how can we live the values we care about with both skill and grace? In this basics workshop you will begin to explore the five Core Practices of CL and learn the skills necessary to bring these powerful practices into your daily life.
Time & Location
Sep 30, 2020, 6:30 PM EDT – Oct 21, 2020, 8:30 PM EDT
About The Event
Facilitated by Amalia Phillips and Liz Spitzer
Wednesdays - September 30 -October 21, 2020
3:30pm PST / 4:30-6:30pm MST / 5:30-7:30pm CST / 6:30-8:30pm EST
In the face of increasing stress, polarity, and disparity, how can we live the values we care about with both skill and grace?
It is challenging to speak our truths sometimes without disagreement or judgment from those closest to us. We may choose to remain silent or steer from controversial issues.
In this basics workshop you will begin to explore the five Core Practices and learn the skills necessary to bring these powerful practices into your daily life:
• Cultivate compassion and a willingness to remain engaged when there are disagreements
• Step into the shoes of another person to truly understand his/her perspective
• Understand what it means to be a "fair witness" by remaining neutral in conflict situations and avoiding the pitfalls of defensiveness and blame
• Establish boundaries that respect the privacy of the other person
• Listen with both ears and a heart that creates space for the other person and differences in values, opinions, and attitudes
• Speak from the heart with language that reflects a healing intention rather than words of blame or judgement
• Become attuned to the energy of conflict and intervening in a way that transform the energy of conflict into an opportunity for connection, collaboration and sustainable solution
• Cultivating Compassion
The standard course fee is $100 for the 4 sessions.
We offer a pay ‘what you can afford’ structure. Participants can pay anywhere from $75 to $125 for those who can afford the cost, which supports the ongoing offering for all to participate.
Contact Amalia at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a scholarship.
We don't want anyone who earnestly wants to attend to miss out because of finances. If you know anyone who may want to join, please feel free to share.
Amalia Phillips, Annapolis, Maryland
Amalia is a long-time educator, Conflict Resolution Facilitator (trained by the Alternatives to Violence Project, USA), a mediator (trained by the Anne Arundel Center for mediation), and a Compassionate Listening Facilitator. She brings the principles of Compassionate Listening to different settings in the Annapolis, DC and Baltimore area including religious organizations, educational institutions, volunteer organizations, and her Listening Room. For more information on her powerful Listening Room, see Amalia’s Facebook page here.